How to find a good disability lawyer. In this article, we will give you some tips and resources to help you with your search, such as asking for referrals, searching online, comparing and choosing the best one for your case.
If you are disabled and need to apply for Social Security disability benefits, you may want to hire a lawyer or an advocate to help you with your claim.
A disability lawyer can help you gather evidence, fill out forms, prepare for hearings, and appeal denials.
But how do you find a good disability lawyer who has the experience and skills to handle your case? Here are some tips and resources to help you with your search.
Ask for Referrals
One of the best ways to find a good disability lawyer is to ask for referrals from people you trust.
You can start by asking your current lawyer, if you have one, for a recommendation. Lawyers usually know other lawyers who specialize in different areas of law, and they can refer you to someone who has expertise in disability law.
For example, if you have a personal injury lawyer or a divorce lawyer, you can ask them to suggest a disability lawyer they know and trust.
You can also ask your family and friends if they know any disability lawyers or advocates who have helped them or someone they know with a disability claim.
A personal recommendation from someone who has firsthand experience with a disability lawyer can give you more confidence and insight into the lawyer’s abilities and personality.
Another way to find a good disability lawyer is to search online using various tools and websites. You can use the following resources to find disability lawyers near you:
- Nolo’s Lawyer Directory. Nolo offers a unique directory of disability lawyers that provides a comprehensive profile for each attorney with information that will help you select the right attorney. The profiles tell you about the lawyer’s disability experience, education, fees, and philosophy of practicing law. You can also read reviews from previous clients and contact the lawyers directly through the website.
- AllLaw’s Disability Lawyer Directory. AllLaw is another website that offers a directory of disability lawyers and advocates across the country. You can search by state or zip code and find contact information, websites, and ratings for each lawyer or advocate. You can also filter your results by practice area, languages spoken, payment options, and more.
- Premier Disability Services. Premier Disability Services is a national disability advocacy firm that offers free consultations to people who need help with their Social Security disability claims. You can fill out a simple form on their website and they will contact you to arrange a consultation with one of their lawyers or advocates. They will review your case and tell you if they can help you win your benefits.
- Local Bar Association. Every state and county has a Bar Association, which is an organization made up of lawyers and legal professionals. The Bar Association provides services and support to lawyers and to anyone needing a lawyer. Generally, there is a section on the Bar Association website where you can search for lawyers by their areas of practice, such as disability law.
- Community Apps and Bulletin Boards. In local and neighborhood community apps like Nextdoor, you can often find recommendations for attorneys as well as other services and businesses. You can also check bulletin boards in places like libraries, community centers, or churches for flyers or ads from disability lawyers or advocates.
Compare and Choose
Once you have found some potential disability lawyers or advocates, you should compare them and choose the best one for your case. You can do this by:
- Checking their credentials. You should make sure that the lawyer or advocate you choose is licensed, experienced, and ethical. You can check their license status on your state’s Bar Association website or on the American Bar Association’s Lawyer Locator website. You can also check their ratings and reviews on websites like Avvo, Martindale-Hubbell, or Super Lawyers.
- Asking for a consultation. You should ask for a free consultation with the lawyer or advocate before hiring them. A consultation is an opportunity for you to meet the lawyer or advocate in person or over the phone and discuss your case in detail. You should ask them questions about their background, approach, fees, success rate, communication style, and availability. You should also bring any documents or evidence related to your case, such as medical records, work history, or denial letters.
- Evaluating their professionalism and courtesy. You should pay attention to how the lawyer or advocate treats you during the consultation and throughout the process. You should look for someone who is respectful, attentive, honest, and responsive. You should also feel comfortable and confident with them and trust their advice.
- Comparing their fees. You should compare how much each lawyer or advocate charges for their services and what they include in their fee agreement. Most disability lawyers and advocates work on a contingency basis, which means they only get paid if they win your case. They usually charge 25% of your backpay, up to a maximum of $6,000. However, some may charge more or less, or have different terms and conditions. You should read the fee agreement carefully and make sure you understand what you are paying for and what you are not.
Finding a good disability lawyer or advocate can make a big difference in your Social Security disability claim.
A good disability lawyer or advocate can help you navigate the complex and lengthy process, gather and present evidence, prepare and represent you at hearings, and appeal denials.
To find a good disability lawyer or advocate, you should ask for referrals, search online, compare and choose the best one for your case. By following these steps, you can increase your chances of getting the benefits you deserve.