If you have applied for Social Security disability benefits, you may be wondering how to check the status of your claim.
Knowing the status of your claim can help you plan for your future and avoid unnecessary delays or errors.
In this article, we will explain how to check your Social Security disability claim status online using your personal my Social Security account.
What is my Social Security account?
My Social Security account is a free and secure online service that allows you to access various information and tools related to your Social Security benefits.
You can use your account to:
- Request a replacement Social Security card
- Check the status of an application, appeal, or hearing request
- Estimate future benefits
- Manage the benefits you already receive
- Set up or change direct deposit
- Get a Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) form
- Opt out of mailed notices for those available online
- Print a benefit verification letter
- Change your address
How to create a my Social Security account?
To create a my Social Security account, you will need to:
- Visit the my Social Security website
- Click on “Create an Account”
- Choose one of the two credential partners: Login.gov or ID.me
- Follow the instructions to verify your identity and create a username and password
- Sign in to your account
How to check your Social Security disability claim status online?
Once you have created and signed in to your my Social Security account, you can check the status of your disability claim online by following these steps:
- Click on “Check Application or Appeal Status” under “Your Benefit Applications”
- Enter your Social Security number and confirmation number (if you have one)
- Click on “Next”
- View your current claim status and details
Your online claim status will show you:
- Date of filing
- Current claim location
- Servicing office location
- Scheduled hearing date and time (if applicable)
- Re-entry numbers for incomplete applications (if applicable)
- Publications that may be of interest to you, depending on your claim and current step in the process
What if I can’t check my claim status online?
If you are unable to check your claim status online, you can also:
- Call the SSA automated system at 1-800-772-1213 or TTY 1-800-325-0778, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You will need to enter your Social Security number and follow the prompts.
- Call a SSA representative at 1-800-772-1213 or TTY 1-800-325-0778, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. You may need to wait on hold for some time, so be prepared with your Social Security number and confirmation number (if you have one).
- Call your local SSA office directly. You can find the phone number and address of your local office by using the [SSA Office Locator]. You may need to make an appointment before visiting in person.
Checking your Social Security disability claim status online is easy and convenient with a my Social Security account.
You can also check your status by phone or in person, but you may experience longer wait times or delays.
Knowing the status of your claim can help you stay informed and prepared for the next steps in the disability process.